Tuesday 6 August 2013

White current wine

So we have been very busy recently that I have been forced to neglect my blog!! I resolve to do much better and post all the new stuff I've been up too!! I just need to sit down and post :)

In the mean time, just a quick one, our lovely allotment neighbour kindly said I could help myself to his white currents as he didn't have a purpose for them, which in my mind means only one thing when one has too much of something with no use.....turn into booze!!!

900 grams ripe whitecurrants
900 grams sugar
Pectin enzyme
Yeast nutrient
Wine yeast

Make sure the fruit is clean with no stems still attached and then press them and squish them with your hand (clean obviously)

Pour enough boiling water to cover the fruit but not filling up your container and add the campden tablet (obviously with clean hand no removed)

Cover and leave to stand for 24 hours then add the sugar with some more boiling water and stir to make sure the sugar is dissolved and leave until cool enough to add the yeast and nutrient (25 degrees or less) 

Cover and leave for seven days and then strain through a sieve and put into a demijohn.

When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and add pectin when the wine is clear and siphon into bottles.



No comments:

Post a Comment